Monday, April 4, 2011

THE FROG

I was born into a world
A vast and stagnant bog
And I was told from that day forth
I was a sinful frog

So I began to suffer fate
I lived a life enslaved
For someday some great deity
Would come and I'd be saved

It wasn't long, there came a time
I wondered of my youth
I saw the cold and emptiness
Of their One Great Truth

So cautiously I wandered out
Lest someone call me fool
And came at last where none had gone
The edge of that dark pool

It was there, a wondrous light
I viewed a different earth
There I found a fullness -- There I
Found my own self-worth

I stepped a foot out of the swamp
A shoe there came to be
The rest of me soon followed suit
A prince became from me

I needed not a princess' kiss
To break an evil spell
I only need believe in me
And know that I am swell

I wasted not my time on rage
But quickly took my way
I let them wallow in the past
While I seized the day

I love them still as they remain
Happy in their sorrow
But nothing now can hold me back
Living my tomorrow

~June 5, 1990

No comments:

Post a Comment